Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Message to Market Match

Alright, so after a brief break we’re back this week with an all new series of tips, just for you, my loyal reader. If you recall we ended last week talking about mailing lists and how to get them. See my blog posts below and start from the top down if you’d like to review. Today we have a brief entry on message to market match.

Message to Market Match means you’re matching what you’re selling, the media you’re selling it through, and the words you write to very precise and targeted prospects.

The best way I’ve seen or heard this described is by my mentors Dan Kennedy. I’m not even going to try and top it,so just see the images below. For more on Dan and his outstanding No B.S. Marketing Newsletter (to which I am a subscriber for 7 years, Keith for nearly 20!) visit this link.
When I say media, I’m talking about the format, and appropriateness for the task you’re trying to accomplish. For example, a retailer sending a ‘stand-alone’ postcard who’s holding an event in the mall is probably OK. If you’re sending a ‘stand-alone’ postcard to business owners expecting them to invest in new accounting and order taking software which is a $10,000 investment, for their business…BAD!!

I’m not saying the postcard doesn’t have a place in your marketing to the business owners. It may very well have its time and place. But to expect a postcard to do the heavy lifting is not smart.

Second, you want to start with people you already understand, and for the vast majority of you that will be the niche you serve. For example, I write to other business owners and salespeople who obviously are interested in growing their business with direct mail and doing it creatively (or why else would you be getting this!). I know and can speak our language, can identify with you, and thus can make a stronger connection with my copy. The same should go for you, when writing to your own niche. The good news is you can get a very good response with just OK copy if you make sure you’re sending it to a highly targeted list.

To Your Direct Mail Success,
Travis Lee

www.3DMailResults.com


No comments: