Monday, August 2, 2010

2 More Ad Essentials

So where did we leave off last week? That’s right; we left off with one of our 7 ad essentials, the use of premiums/free gifts in your business. See the post below to review. Today we’ll cover the last two ad essentials you should have in any marketing you do.

The first thing we’ll cover today is your website. In business today it’s virtually required to have one. But most people don’t use them properly, and I’m as guilty as anybody. You want to use your website wisely as an extension of the direct mail you’re sending.

Here’s an example for my business where I’m guilty. I mail lots of promotions using my own 3D Mail items. My favorite is the bank bag and I’ve been known to have some boomer specials on them throughout the year. I’ll send out the direct mail piece with the bank bag and the special pricing. Then I’ll tell them something like, “go to the website and check out the bank bag, but DON’T order there; you won’t get the special pricing, use the included fax back, or call me…”

It’s pretty stupid. If I were smart (and what I’ll be doing in the future), I’d have a separate, dedicated website where they can get the special pricing. If you’re going to use your website, you want it to be congruent with the special promotions you’re having, or your better not using it at all.

Finally, there’s brand identity. I know, I’m against such dumb, “Madison Avenue” branding. HOWEVER, if you do achieve a brand identity through your thorough and constant messages and advertising like I teach, then you should use it. If you’ve got it with your audience, use it.

In one of our businesses, American Retail Supply, we have a good ‘band name’ and recognition among our target audience, especially with our good, repeat clients. They know, recognize, and respect our name and logo. They already know what we stand for and what we’re about. When marketing to them, we will use our logo, name, etc. to our advantage along with (not in place of) our tried and true direct response marketing techniques.

So there they are. The 7 ad essential you should be using with any marketing you use. You can see all 7 at my blog if you want to review or catch up. Have a wonderful andprofitable week!

No comments: